Wednesday 21 November 2012

Benitez identifies Martin Škrtel as No1 target

New Chelsea manager, Rafa Bentiez, will actively target Martin Škrtel this January.  Benitez is a great admirer of Škrtel and will try and tempt the Slovak to Stamford Bridge.

Liverpool will be less than happy after just tying Škrtel down to a long term contract in August.  The challenge will come on tempting Škrtel away from Anfield, speaking in August Škrtel said:

"I'm happy because I am a part of one of the biggest clubs in the world, after last season there was a lot of talk about my future but I have to say that the first priority for me was always to sign a new deal with Liverpool.  I have been here almost four-and-a-half years and I have enjoyed that time here - myself and also my family - so there were no questions about whether to stay or to leave"

More intriguing will be the reaction of Liverpool supporters who hold Benitez in high regard.  This may be tested to the limit should he aggressively court the 27 year old Centre Back.

Benitez has also disclosed to close aids that he will fully asses Eden Hazard's ability before deciding on whether a midfield addition is needed.  Benitez needs to be convinced the Belgian is ready to be a regular starter, if unconvinced he will look to bring in a stop-gap proven provider to supply out of form striker, Fernando Torres.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.